Welcome to MAXIM Hair Restoration in NYC
Hair transplants are popular and practical treatments for those who have lost their hair and wish to restore it. With the continuous debate over the efficacy and success rate of hair transplant technologies, many have found follicular unit transplantation (FUT) as their best hair restoration solution. FUT, also known as the Strip hair transplant technique, is a well-known and widely used surgical hair transplant procedure. This approach can create incredibly natural outcomes.
If you’re living in New York City (NYC) and wondering where to find a solution to your hair restoration needs, look no further than MAXIM Hair Restoration. Located near the Empire State Building on Fifth Avenue, we’re accessible from throughout New York City, including Queens, Manhattan, Bronx, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Westchester, New Jersey, and Long Island as well as New Jersey.
What Is an FUT Hair Transplant?
FUT is a surgical technique where a strip of scalp with healthy hair is removed from the donor area under local anesthesia. This donor area is usually at the back or side of your head. The strip is then examined under a stereomicroscope, allowing a medical specialist to carefully choose hair follicles (in a group of one to four hairs) to transplant.
The donor region of your scalp will be closed with sutures, and the area will be covered by surrounding hair, so the wound will not be visible. The sutures will be removed within 10 days post-surgery, and the donor area will recover, leaving a minor linear scar. Longer hairstyles can easily conceal the affected area.
Your hair surgeon will create small incisions in the non-hair-bearing skin to transfer the hair follicles to the thinning and balding areas. This requires great precision and artistry to manage the angle, direction, and density of the hair to be grafted. Finally, the follicular grafts are placed into the recipient locations using microscopic forceps.
Benefits of FUT Hair Transplants
Before consenting to a medical procedure, it’s important to build an extensive knowledge base so you can make an informed decision. Let’s outline some of the benefits of an FUT hair transplant.
- An FUT hair transplant procedure requires less time than a Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) procedure. Usually, the operation takes just about six hours.
- Hair volume increases with an FUT transplant because the follicular tissue is more concentrated in the donor area. After recovery, the patient’s hair seems fuller.
- If you need several grafts, FUT is the best choice. It permits future procedures, for more density, since the donor region is maintained after the procedure.
- Shaving is not required before the operation. This is advantageous since it helps the patient conceal the scar line.
- FUT has the highest success rate in a single session of transplantation. At MAXIM, a doctor can achieve 2,000 to 4,000 grafts in a mega hair transplant session.
- Local anesthesia is given while undergoing an FUT hair transplant. Patients can listen to music, watch TV, or relax.
- FUT costs less than follicular unit extraction.
- The survival rate and density from FUT is superior to that of FUE.
- FUT also has a much lower transection rate compared to FUE.
How Much Does a FUT Hair Transplant Cost in NYC
At MAXIM Hair Restoration, New York City, the cost of a hair transplant is determined by various criteria, including the magnitude of the surgery and the exact number of hair follicles grafted. During your initial consultation, a doctor will calculate the procedure’s cost based on your personalized treatment plan.
Our goal at MAXIM is to give every patient the greatest possible outcome and experience at an accessible price. We also provide 0% financing alternatives.
What To Do Before Your FUT Hair Transplant
To ensure a smooth hair transplant operation, you must follow our preoperative instructions. Here are some general guidelines:
- Please notify your doctor if you have a fever of 101 degrees or higher anytime within the week before your procedure.
- Your doctor should know whether you have any medical conditions (atrial fibrillation, artificial joint or valve, diabetes, etc.) that require antibiotics before surgery.
- A few days before your surgery, your hair surgeon and/or primary care doctor may advise you to stop taking blood thinners like aspirin, which might induce bleeding during the procedure. Again, only stop taking medications upon the advice of your doctors.
- Hair in the donor site on the back and sides of the head should be a little longer to allow the sutured region to be hidden after surgery.
- Stop using Minoxidil for ten days before your procedure. (You are allowed to continue taking Fin########, though.)
- Abstain from alcohol and smoking for at least 48 hours before your procedure.
What To Do After Your FUT Hair Transplant
Now, let’s review the general postoperative care instructions you should follow:
- Sleep with your head raised on the night of your operation and the nights following.
- Forty-eight hours following the procedure, remove your bandages, shower, and wash your scalp three times throughout the day. Don’t rub or massage it. From then on, take a shower twice a day.
- Fourteen days following the procedure, when the grafts are permanent, you can resume regular washing and hair care routines.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol for three days following the surgery.
- Smoking should be avoided for two weeks following the operation.
- When exposed to direct sunlight, wear a hat or head covering. After two weeks, apply sunblock with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Three weeks post-operation, you can get a haircut.
- Four weeks post-operation, you can color your hair.
- Stitches in the donor region will be removed a couple of weeks post-transplant.
- Do not enter a public pool for at least two days after the stitches are removed.
- Patients may return to their daily routine immediately. In the first week following surgery, limited exercise is recommended.
- Refrain from putting any pressure on your donor site to speed up recovery.
- Remember, it’s common for grafted hair follicles to fall off before growing new permanent ones—this is quite normal during the transplant process.
The success rate of any hair transplant procedure, including FUT, is determined by the surgeon’s ability. Identifying a highly skilled surgeon can be quite a task. We have the most qualified FUT surgeons at MAXIM Hair Restoration, New York City. If you have any queries regarding FUT hair transplants, don’t hesitate to schedule a free appointment with our staff to get all your answers.