Hair loss turns out to be a humiliating experience for both women and men. Because hair loss has a significant impact on one’s self-esteem, the situation can put a lot of stress on an individual’s personal and professional life. With the advancement of technological innovations, there are numerous hair restoration alternatives available at some of the best hair transplant outlets to assist people in achieving full hair coverage. However, people grappling with baldness or hair loss are frequently torn between choosing a hair transplant surgery or considering a wig to conceal their bald spots.
Let us examine each method separately to gain a better understanding:
A hair transplant is a surgically performed technique. It includes removing hair follicles from the donor region (the back and side of the head) and permanently transplanting them onto the balding part of the scalp. This treatment is conducted under a local anesthetic to eliminate any needless suffering.
- A hair transplant is your best bet if you want a more natural appearance because it requires transplanting your natural hair onto the areas with hair loss. Afterward, the hair strands grow naturally, providing a more natural appearance.
- Hair transplantation is regarded as a permanent solution to baldness.
- Unlike wigs, the maintenance burden is marginal because taking care of your transplanted hair is the same as taking care of your natural hair.
- It’s a one-time expenditure and does not have long-term financial bearings.
- A hair transplant does not prevent future loss, so you may still require medication to prevent existing hair fall.
- Results take roughly 12 months.
Wigs, often known as hair replacement systems, are hairpieces that could immediately cover bald regions on the head. They are made with artificial fiber or natural human hair and are available in a variety of colors, styles, textures, lengths, and densities.
- Wigs can be created with natural human hair or synthetic fibers like polyurethane or lace.
- Wigs are not at all time-consuming because they quickly modify your look.
- Wigs are available in numerous colors and styles, which makes them more enticing.
- They are easily removable as needed.
- Only natural human hair wigs can be treated with a blow dryer, flat iron, and curler.
- Wigs need maintenance regularly to keep the shine and natural appearance intact.
- They can be irritating, mainly in hot climates.
- Wigs can also contribute to baldness. The fasteners used to hold wigs in place frequently produce specific baldness. It’s known as traction alopecia, linked to the weaving technique, which involves weaving strands of hair into the base of the wig to keep it stable. The weave gradually pulls on the hair strands, some of which have already been affected due to weak hair roots. This stress on the natural hair leads to traction alopecia, which is permanent baldness in that location.
- It’s actually a myth that wigs are budget-friendly. The long-term maintenance cost of wigs makes it a costly affair. Moreover, the supply chain issues and inflation with hairpieces/systems after the pandemic have put an additional premium on the availability and upkeep of wigs.
- The odor is one more downside of wearing a wig. Oils, sebum, and wax are naturally generated by the scalp and accumulate beneath the base of the hairpiece. These items will mix to produce stink if the user does not maintain a regular cleaning regimen.
Comparison Between Hair Transplant and Wigs
Here are a few more comparisons to guide you through to get more clarity on the practicality of two of the most commonly used hair loss solutions.
Economical vs. Expensive
Most people assume that a hair transplant is a much more costly remedy for baldness than wearing a wig. However, wigs require diligent maintenance, which increases the cost with each appointment. Transplanted hair, on the contrary, requires less upkeep because it works similar to natural hair. Consequently, a hair transplant is indeed a more cost-effective method that produces long-lasting and natural outcomes.
Natural Appearance vs. Artificial Appearance
Hair transplantation is a treatment that includes using natural hair removed from the person’s own scalp. The hair grafts that were implanted will ultimately develop into natural-looking hair. The employment of hair wigs, on the other hand, provides a wholly artificial appearance, as they are not the patient’s own hair, or sometimes they might be made with synthetic materials.
Permanent vs. Temporary
While hair wigs may quickly change a person’s appearance, they cannot be worn indefinitely. Wigs may be unpleasant and possibly cause irritation, headaches, and rashes when worn for an extended period. Hair transplants, on the other hand, provide a permanent remedy for natural hair growth. However, it may take many months to achieve the desired outcomes. While wearing a wig makes it hard to swim, exercise, or sleep, a hair restoration operation enables patients to engage in these pursuits without limitation.
Social Insecurity vs. Confidence
Most individuals who wear hair systems (wigs) say that they fear the possibility of a powerful gust of wind, stumbling into others, meeting someone with a keen eye, or anything that may reveal that they are wearing a hairpiece and it is not their natural hair. They create an unseen boundary and don’t let people come near in a social gathering. The emotional cost of keeping this truth hidden is high. On the other hand, a hair transplant places natural hair on that bald patch of skin and keeps it there forever. That boosts an individual’s confidence manifolds.
The advancement of hair transplant surgical techniques has rendered wigs mostly obsolete as a remedy for people grappling with baldness. Wigs are still the best option for certain people suffering from hair loss, especially those who’ve gone through chemotherapy or any other temporary hair loss. However, it’s clear from our discussion that a hair transplant is the most practical solution in most cases. If you are experiencing hair loss and want to consult an expert, please get in touch with us to schedule a free appointment, and we at MAXIM will gladly resolve your hair-related issues.